With the government finally making the decision to loosen the borders for inbound visitors to Japan this is the time to start making plans for a visit from next year. At present, the Japanese government has decided that it is no longer necessary for people who have had three vaccinations to have pre-departure PCR testing to prove that they are COVID-free. This is a big step in the right direction.
The next big step is that it will no longer be necessary for visitors to be accompanied by a guide. You will still need to be registered through some travel agency, but it is no longer practical for Japan to expect all inbound visitors to have an accompanying guide with them each day of their time in Japan.
For the pilgrimage however, we do actually really recommend having a guide, because they can really explain a lot of things to you, and also facilitate understanding between you and locals you meet, priests and monks you might want to talk with, and also help you with everything on the way.
Planning a pilgrimage needs a bit of time, so if you are hoping to come to Japan, let us know what you have in mind. There are a few things that we need to know to start getting you sorted for your pilgrimage:
- How many days will you be in Japan? How many in Tokyo? Did you want to go to Kyoto or elsewhere too?
- How long do you want to walk each day? We really recommend that you spend no more than 4-5 hours walking on stone. You do want time to really look at things, listen to people talk, and also to be immersed in the experience, no?
- What kinds of accommodations would you like? We can mix it up. Nice hotel. Nice Japanese style inn? How about an overnight in a temple? That is really great fun.
- How many people do you want to travel with? We recommend coming with a friend or two. A group of 6 to 8 is a really nice balance.
- What, if any, dietary restrictions are you on? What is your health condition like? Let’s not take chances with your safety and well-being.
Feel free to use the contact form on this site, or just send us an email at email@example.com . Next year is going to be so great! We are waiting to hear from you, but don’t delay too long. We expect to get a rush of clients coming from the fall.